So I’m sitting in my cousin’s basement right now, the TV is on and the pre game talk thingy is on. My oldest cousin and brother had to run to the store for something and my cousin and my oldest cousin’s fiance are taking showers (ok, they just got out), so I thought it would be a good time to take a break and tell y’all what I am thankful for this year.
God has blessed me so much with so many things. One thing that I want to really give thanks for is the amazing friends. He has given me some amazing “brothers” that I am so thankful for. I have had guy friends before, but I have made some very special friends with guys over the last year or so.
God has also blessed me with two wonderful “girlfriends” (chicas) Lauren and Hope. They are both amazing girls that have blessed me so much with their friendship and accountability. I have known Hope for years and she goes to my church, and it has been so special to see all these signs of grace in her life as she has grown up. She was in my study for Do Hard Things and I think out of all the girls, she changed the most from it. Starting this fall we have become accountability partners and have enjoyed (trying) to get together about once a month to have some coffee or tea and talk together.
Lauren is an unusual situation. I have never met her before in person, but she has been such a blessing to me. I “met” her this summer through some mutual online friends and it’s been an amazing friendship. So when I need a person to pray for me or to share my heart with, she is almost always the first. I cherish our many long talks on phone and IM. We have been keeping each other accountable lately too.
So my everyone is out of the shower and my cousin and brother are back so I better get going and join in the festivities that haven’t started yet. :D Thanks for all the encouragement that you guys have given me since I have started blogging, it mean a lot to me. God bless!
Ok, so you have just became a Christian. Congrats! Now what. What do you do? This is a hard question for most people. There are so many books, so many resources, so much of the Bible, so many questions, where do you even start? How do you go about making your life different, making it an offering to the one who gave you eternal life? Well I hope that I can answer some questions. I would also love for you to send me some questions, either via comments or by email. So here are some things I would advise both new and even older(if they are not doing so already) Christians to do.
- Find a good church. Churches are truly a place where you can learn and grow and worship together with other Christians. The Church (big “C” church) is really just any and all believers. So find a place to fellowship with others. See if what they believe is Biblical. (This may be a hard thing for you new believers but ask someone, anyone who you know (even me) who is a firm Christian to help you find out if what the church is saying matches up to the scriptures.)
- Start reading the Bible. There is so much to learn. I have grown up in a Christian home and my dad is actually a pastor (only for about 3 1/2 years though) and I still find that there is ALWAYS more to learn. Now the Bible seems sort of scary, it is REALLY long for crying out loud! Where do you even start? Well a great place to start is probably the gospel of John. It tells the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, and since that is the bases for our faith, it is a great place to start. After that I would advise reading Romans. It is filled with amazing insight about our salvation and life in Christ.
- Find some strong Christian friends. Having fellowship with other believers, (like going to church) is very important. Also, when it comes to you old friends that do not know the Lord, I don’t encourage you to totally ditch them, but in the Bible it says that believers and not to be yoked with non-believers. So the people you are closest too, the people that effect the way you live, the people you share your hopes and dreams with, need to be Christians. I can not tell you how much of a blessing my Christian friends have been to me! Having people that will encourage you and come along side you when you fall and most importantly PRAY for you, is awesome!
- Share your faith. My dad often says that new Christians are great for sharing their faith with their friends, 1) they still have close connections to the non Christians, 2) the reality of Christ saving them is still fresh. This isn’t an easy thing, not at all. But you should let people know the change that has gone on inside of you. Matthew 10:33 says that Jesus will deny any one who denies him. Don’t be ashamed of Christ, or he will be ashamed of you. Like the Newsboys song goes, “I’m not ashamed to let you know, I want this light in me to show, I’m not ashamed to speak the name, of Jesus Christ”.
- Start the outward transformation. Romans 12:2 says, “Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of you mind, that you may by testing you might be able to discern the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” I want to make it perfectly clear that your heart is changed when you become a Christian, you are given the spirit of Christ in you, you are a new person. But the outward transformation isn’t as easy. As Gregg Harris (the dad of Alex and Brett from the Rebelution ) said in his session at the Do Hard Things conference, “We may have the heart of a lamb, but we have the body of a wolf. And we are constantly fighting our old ‘wolf’ ways.”. I am going to put another post (since this is getting long) of what we are to aspire to as Christians.
Okay, I hope this benefited you. I will be posting another part to this article soon (though I don’t know when because I am REALLY busy, speaking of which I need to practice violin…). If you have any questions or comments, please contact me. Also, if you are a new Christian, I would love to find out who you are and talk to you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Also. If any of you regulars (or even people who stumbled on here) have any topics that you would like to hear about let me know. I have an idea for some, but it is always good to have more. The series I am going to start will have videos (Trey, you might get some emails from me if I can’t figure it out on my own!) and they should be really cool! I am so excited!